A newer version of this documentation is available. Use the version menu above to view the most up-to-date release of the Greenplum 6.x documentation.
- Append-optimized tables support compressing table data. See CREATE TABLE.
- User-defined data types can be defined to compress data. See CREATE TYPE.
- The external table protocols gpfdist (gpfdists), s3, and pxf support compression when accessing external data. For information about external tables, see CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE.
- Workfiles (temporary spill files that are created when executing a query that requires more memory than it is allocated) can be compressed. See the server configuration parameter gp_workfile_compression.
- The Greenplum Database utilities gpbackup, gprestore, gpcopy, gpload, and gplogfilter support compression.
For some compression algorithms (such as zlib) Greenplum Database requires software packages installed on the host system. For information about required software packages, see the Greenplum Database Installation Guide.