A newer version of this documentation is available. Use the version menu above to view the most up-to-date release of the Greenplum 6.x documentation.
This topic describes the Pivotal Greenplum Database 6 platform and operating system software requirements.
Pivotal Greenplum 6 runs on the following operating system platforms:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 64-bit 7.x (See the following Note.)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 64-bit 6.x
- CentOS 64-bit 7.x
- CentOS 64-bit 6.x
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- Oracle Linux 64-bit 7, using the Red Hat Compatible Kernel (RHCK)
If you use RedHat 6 and the performance with resource groups is acceptable for your use case, upgrade your kernel to version 2.6.32-696 or higher to benefit from other fixes to the cgroups implementation.
RHEL 7.3 and CentOS 7.3 resolves the issue.
Greenplum Database server supports TLS version 1.2 on RHEL/CentOS systems, and TLS version 1.3 on Ubuntu systems.
- libevent (or libevent2 on RHEL/CentOS 6)
- openssl-libs (RHEL7/Centos7)
- sed (used by gpinitsystem)
- libevent (or libevent2 on RHEL/CentOS 6)
Greenplum Database 6 uses Python 2.7.12, which is included with the product installation (and not installed as a package dependency).
- Open JDK 8 or Open JDK 11, available from AdoptOpenJDK
- Oracle JDK 8 or Oracle JDK 11
Hardware and Network
The following table lists minimum recommended specifications for hardware servers intended to support Greenplum Database on Linux systems in a production environment. All host servers in your Greenplum Database system must have the same hardware and software configuration. Greenplum also provides hardware build guides for its certified hardware platforms. It is recommended that you work with a Greenplum Systems Engineer to review your anticipated environment to ensure an appropriate hardware configuration for Greenplum Database.
|Minimum CPU||Any x86_64 compatible CPU|
|Minimum Memory||16 GB RAM per server|
|Disk Space Requirements||
|Network Requirements||10 Gigabit Ethernet within the array
NIC bonding is recommended when multiple interfaces are present
Pivotal Greenplum can use either IPV4 or IPV6 protocols.
Tanzu Greenplum on DCA Systems
Tanzu Greenplum version 6.9 and later is supported on Dell EMC DCA systems with software version 188.8.131.52 and later.
The only file system supported for running Greenplum Database is the XFS file system. All other file systems are explicitly not supported by Pivotal.
Greenplum Database is supported on network or shared storage if the shared storage is presented as a block device to the servers running Greenplum Database and the XFS file system is mounted on the block device. Network file systems are not supported. When using network or shared storage, Greenplum Database mirroring must be used in the same way as with local storage, and no modifications may be made to the mirroring scheme or the recovery scheme of the segments.
Other features of the shared storage such as de-duplication and/or replication are not directly supported by Pivotal Greenplum Database, but may be used with support of the storage vendor as long as they do not interfere with the expected operation of Greenplum Database at the discretion of Pivotal.
Greenplum Database can be deployed to virtualized systems only if the storage is presented as block devices and the XFS file system is mounted for the storage of the segment directories.
Greenplum Database is supported on Amazon Web Services (AWS) servers using either Amazon instance store (Amazon uses the volume names ephemeral[0-20]) or Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS) storage. If using Amazon EBS storage the storage should be RAID of Amazon EBS volumes and mounted with the XFS file system for it to be a supported configuration.
Data Domain Boost
Pivotal Greenplum 6.0.0 supports Data Domain Boost for backup on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. This table lists the versions of Data Domain Boost SDK and DDOS supported by Pivotal Greenplum 6.x.
|Pivotal Greenplum||Data Domain Boost||DDOS|
|6.x||3.3||6.1 (all versions)
6.0 (all versions)
Tools and Extensions Compatibility
Greenplum Database 6 releases a Clients tool package on various platforms that can be used to access Greenplum Database from a client system. The Greenplum 6 Clients tool package is supported on the following platforms:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux x86_64 6.x (RHEL 6)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux x86_64 7.x (RHEL 7)
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows Server 2012 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (32-bit and 64-bit)
The Greenplum 6 Clients package includes the client and loader programs provided in the Greenplum 5 packages plus the addition of database/role/language commands and the Greenplum-Kafka Integration and Greenplum Streaming Server command utilities. Refer to Greenplum Client and Loader Tools Package for installation and usage details of the Greenplum 6 Client tools.
This table lists the versions of the Pivotal Greenplum Extensions that are compatible with this release of Greenplum Database 6.
|Component||Package Version||Additional Information|
|PL/Java||2.0.2||Supports Java 8 and 11.|
|Python Data Science Module Package||2.0.2|
|PL/R||3.0.3||(CentOS) R 3.3.3
(Ubuntu) You install R 3.5.1+.
|R Data Science Library Package||2.0.2|
|PL/Container Image for R||2.1.2||R 3.6.3|
|PL/Container Images for Python||2.1.2||Python 2.7.12
|PL/Container Beta Image for R||3.0.0-beta||R 3.4.4|
|GreenplumR||1.1.0||Supports R 3.6+.|
|MADlib Machine Learning||1.17, 1.16||Support matrix at MADlib FAQ.|
|PostGIS Spatial and Geographic Objects||2.5.4+pivotal.3, 2.5.4+pivotal.2,
For information about the Oracle Compatibility Functions, see Oracle Compatibility Functions.
- Fuzzy String Match Extension
- PL/Python Extension
- pgcrypto Extension
- Greenplum Platform Extension Framework (PXF) v5.15.0 - PXF, integrated with Greenplum Database 6, provides access to Hadoop, object store, and SQL external data stores. Refer to Accessing External Data with PXF in the Greenplum Database Administrator Guide for PXF configuration and usage information.
- Greenplum-Kafka Integration - The Pivotal Greenplum-Kafka Integration provides high speed, parallel data transfer from a Kafka cluster to a Pivotal Greenplum Database cluster for batch and streaming ETL operations. It requires Kafka version 0.11 or newer for exactly-once delivery assurance. Refer to the Pivotal Greenplum-Kafka Integration Documentation for more information about this feature.
- Greenplum Streaming Server v1.4.1 - The Pivotal Greenplum Streaming Server is an ETL tool that provides high speed, parallel data transfer from Informatica, Kafka, and custom client data sources to a Pivotal Greenplum Database cluster. Refer to the Pivotal Greenplum Streaming Server Documentation for more information about this feature.
- Greenplum Informatica Connector v1.0.5 - The Pivotal Greenplum Informatica Connector supports high speed data transfer from an Informatica PowerCenter cluster to a Pivotal Greenplum Database cluster for batch and streaming ETL operations.
- Greenplum Spark Connector v1.6.2 - The Pivotal Greenplum Spark Connector supports high speed, parallel data transfer between Greenplum Database and an Apache Spark cluster using Spark’s Scala API.
- Progress DataDirect JDBC Drivers v5.1.4.000223 - The Progress DataDirect JDBC drivers are compliant with the Type 4 architecture, but provide advanced features that define them as Type 5 drivers.
- Progress DataDirect ODBC Drivers v7.1.6 (07.16.0389) - The Progress DataDirect ODBC drivers enable third party applications to connect via a common interface to the Pivotal Greenplum Database system.
Connecting to IBM Cognos software with an ODBC driver is not supported. Greenplum Database supports connecting to IBM Cognos software with the DataDirect JDBC driver for Pivotal Greenplum. This driver is available as a download from Pivotal Network.
Pivotal Greenplum Database 6 is compatible with Pivotal Greenplum Text version 3.3.1 and later. See the Greenplum Text documentation for additional compatibility information.
Greenplum Command Center
Pivotal Greenplum Database 6.8 and later are compatible only with Pivotal Greenplum Command Center 6.2 and later. See the Greenplum Command Center documentation for additional compatibility information.
Greenplum Database provides access to HDFS with the Greenplum Platform Extension Framework (PXF).
PXF can use Cloudera, Hortonworks Data Platform, MapR, and generic Apache Hadoop distributions. PXF bundles all of the JAR files on which it depends, including the following Hadoop libraries:
|PXF Version||Hadoop Version||Hive Server Version||HBase Server Version|
|5.15.0, 5.14.0, 5.13.0, 5.12.0, 5.11.1, 5.10.1||2.x, 3.1+||1.x, 2.x, 3.1+||1.3.2|