DataDirect JDBC Driver for Greenplum
A newer version of this documentation is available. Use the version menu above to view the most up-to-date release of the Greenplum 6.x documentation.
DataDirect JDBC Driver for Greenplum
DataDirect JDBC drivers are compliant with the Type 4 architecture, but provide advanced features that define them as Type 5 drivers. Additionally, the drivers consistently support the latest database features and are fully compliant with Java™ SE 8 and JDBC 4.0 functionality.
The DataDirect JDBC Driver for Greenplum is available for download from VMware Tanzu Network.
- The DataDirect JDBC Driver requires Java SE 5 or higher. See System and Product Requirements in the DataDirect documentation for information and requirements associated with specific features of the JDBC driver.
- The license key is embedded in the greenplum.jar file itself. You do not need to apply a specific license key to the driver to activate it.
Downloading the DataDirect JDBC Driver
To install the JDBC driver on your client:
- Log into VMware Tanzu Network and download the DataDirect JDBC driver file: PROGRESS_DATADIRECT_JDBC_DRIVER_PIVOTAL_GREENPLUM_5.1.4.zip.
- Extract the downloaded ZIP file.
- Add the full path to the PROGRESS_DATADIRECT_JDBC_DRIVER_PIVOTAL_GREENPLUM_5.1.4.jar to your Java CLASSPATH environment variable, or add it to your classpath with the -classpath option when executing a Java application.
Obtaining Version Details for the Driver
- Change to the directory that contains the downloaded
driver file. For
$ cd /opt/Progress/DataDirect/Connect_for_JDBC_51/lib
- Execute the data source class to display the version information.
For Linux/Unix systems:
$ java -classpath PROGRESS_DATADIRECT_JDBC_DRIVER_PIVOTAL_GREENPLUM_5.1.4.jar com.pivotal.jdbc.GreenplumDriver [Pivotal][Greenplum JDBC Driver]Driver Version: 5.1.4.000223 (F000432.U000208)
For Windows systems:
java -classpath .;.\greenplum.jar com.pivotal.jdbc.GreenplumDriver [Pivotal][Greenplum JDBC Driver]Driver Version: 5.1.4.000223 (F000432.U000208)
|Driver File Name||greenplum.jar|
|Data Source Class||com.pivotal.jdbc.GreenplumDriver|
Configuring Prepared Statement Execution
The DataDirect JDBC driver version 5.1.4.000270 (F000450.U000214) introduced support for the PrepareThreshold connection property. This property specifies the number of prepared statement executions to be performed before the driver switches to using server-side prepared statements.
The PrepareThreshold default value is 0, always use server-side prepare for prepared statements. This setting preserves the behavior of previous versions of the JDBC driver.
When the PrepareThreshold value is greater than 1, it specifies on which execution of a prepared statement the driver starts using server-side prepared statements.
Refer to PrepareThreshold in the DataDirect documentation for additional information about this connection property.
When the PrepareThreshold value is greater than one and the prepared statement includes parameterized operations, the driver does not send any SQL prepare calls during connection.prepareStatement(). The driver instead sends the query all at once, at execution time. This requires that the driver determine the data types of every column before it sends the query to the server. While the driver can make this determination for many data types, it cannot for the JDBC types that can be mapped to multiple Greenplum data types:
- BIT VARYING
- TIME WITH TIME ZONE
To work around this limitation, set PrepareThreshold to 0 when a prepared statement uses parameterized values with any of the above data types. And use ResultSet.getMetaData() to determine if any of the above types are used in a query in advance of submitting the prepared statement.