Creates a new database.
createdb [connection_option ...] [-D tablespace] [-E encoding] [-O owner] [-T template] [-e] [dbname ['description']] createdb --help createdb --version
createdb creates a new database in a Greenplum Database system.
Normally, the database user who executes this command becomes the owner of the new database. However a different owner can be specified via the -O option, if the executing user has appropriate privileges.
createdb is a wrapper around the SQL command CREATE DATABASE.
- The name of the database to be created. The name must be unique among all other databases in the Greenplum system. If not specified, reads from the environment variable PGDATABASE, then PGUSER or defaults to the current system user.
- A comment to be associated with the newly created database. Descriptions containing white space must be enclosed in quotes.
- -D tablespace | --tablespace tablespace
- The default tablespace for the database.
- -e echo
- Echo the commands that createdb generates and sends to the server.
- -E encoding | --encoding encoding
- Character set encoding to use in the new database. Specify a string constant (such as 'UTF8'), an integer encoding number, or DEFAULT to use the default encoding. See the Greenplum Database Reference Guide for information about supported character sets.
- -O owner | --owner owner
- The name of the database user who will own the new database. Defaults to the user executing this command.
- -T template | --template template
- The name of the template from which to create the new database. Defaults to template1.
- -h host | --host host
- The host name of the machine on which the Greenplum master database server is running. If not specified, reads from the environment variable PGHOST or defaults to localhost.
- -p port | --port port
- The TCP port on which the Greenplum master database server is listening for connections. If not specified, reads from the environment variable PGPORT or defaults to 5432.
- -U username | --username username
- The database role name to connect as. If not specified, reads from the environment variable PGUSER or defaults to the current system role name.
- -w | --no-password
- Never issue a password prompt. If the server requires password authentication and a password is not available by other means such as a .pgpass file, the connection attempt will fail. This option can be useful in batch jobs and scripts where no user is present to enter a password.
- -W | --password
- Force a password prompt.
To create the database test using the default options:
To create the database demo using the Greenplum master on host gpmaster, port 54321, using the LATIN1 encoding scheme:
createdb -p 54321 -h gpmaster -E LATIN1 demo