Running the Greenplum Installer
Running the Greenplum Installer
To configure your systems for Greenplum Database, you will need certain utilities found in $GPHOME/bin of your installation. Log in as root and run the Greenplum installer on the machine that will be your master host.
The gNet extension package contains the software for the gphdfs protocol. For Greenplum Database 4.3.1 and later releases, the extension is bundled with Greenplum Database. The files for gphdfs are installed in $GPHOME/lib/hadoop.
To install the Greenplum binaries on the master host
- Download or copy the installer file to the machine that will be the Greenplum Database master host. Installer files are available from Greenplum for Red Hat (32-bit and 64-bit), and SuSe Linux 64-bit platforms.
- Unzip the installer file where PLATFORM is either
RHEL5-i386 (Red Hat 32-bit), RHEL5-x86_64 (Red Hat
64-bit), or SuSE10-x86_64 (SuSe Linux 64 bit). For
# unzip greenplum-db-4.3.x.x-PLATFORM.zip
- Launch the installer using bash. For
# /bin/bash greenplum-db-4.3.x.x-PLATFORM.bin
- The installer will prompt you to accept the Greenplum Database license agreement. Type yes to accept the license agreement.
- The installer will prompt you to provide an installation path. Press ENTER to accept the default install path (/usr/local/greenplum-db-4.3.x.x), or enter an absolute path to an install location. You must have write permissions to the location you specify.
- Optional. The installer will prompt you to provide the path to a
previous installation of Greenplum Database. For example:
This installation step will migrate any Greenplum Database add-on modules (postgis, pgcrypto, etc.) from the previous installation path to the path to the version currently being installed. This step is optional and can be performed manually at any point after the installation using the gpkg utility with the -migrate option. See gppkg for details.
Press ENTER to skip this step.
- The installer will install the Greenplum software and create a greenplum-db symbolic link one directory level above your version-specific Greenplum installation directory. The symbolic link is used to facilitate patch maintenance and upgrades between versions. The installed location is referred to as $GPHOME.
- To perform additional required system configuration tasks and to install Greenplum Database on other hosts, go to the next task Installing and Configuring Greenplum on all Hosts.
About Your Greenplum Database Installation
- greenplum_path.sh — This file contains the environment variables for Greenplum Database. See Setting Greenplum Environment Variables.
- GPDB-LICENSE.txt — Greenplum license agreement.
- bin — This directory contains the Greenplum Database management utilities. This directory also contains the PostgreSQL client and server programs, most of which are also used in Greenplum Database.
- demo — This directory contains the Greenplum demonstration programs.
- docs — The Greenplum Database documentation (PDF files).
- etc — Sample configuration file for OpenSSL.
- ext — Bundled programs (such as Python) used by some Greenplum Database utilities.
- include — The C header files for Greenplum Database.
- lib — Greenplum Database and PostgreSQL library files.
- sbin — Supporting/Internal scripts and programs.
- share — Shared files for Greenplum Database.