A newer version of this documentation is available. Click here to view the most up-to-date release of the Greenplum 4.x documentation.
Creates a new database.
CREATE DATABASE name [ [WITH] [OWNER [=] dbowner] [TEMPLATE [=] template] [ENCODING [=] encoding] [TABLESPACE [=] tablespace] [CONNECTION LIMIT [=] connlimit ] ]
CREATE DATABASE creates a new database. To create a database, you must be a superuser or have the special CREATEDB privilege.
The creator becomes the owner of the new database by default. Superusers can create databases owned by other users by using the OWNER clause. They can even create databases owned by users with no special privileges. Non-superusers with CREATEDB privilege can only create databases owned by themselves.
By default, the new database will be created by cloning the standard system database template1. A different template can be specified by writing TEMPLATE name. In particular, by writing TEMPLATE template0, you can create a clean database containing only the standard objects predefined by Greenplum Database. This is useful if you wish to avoid copying any installation-local objects that may have been added to template1.
- The name of a database to create.
- The name of the database user who will own the new database, or DEFAULT to use the default owner (the user executing the command).
- The name of the template from which to create the new database, or DEFAULT to use the default template (template1).
- Character set encoding to use in the new database. Specify a string constant (such as 'SQL_ASCII'), an integer encoding number, or DEFAULT to use the default encoding. For more information, see Character Set Support.
- The name of the tablespace that will be associated with the new database, or DEFAULT to use the template database's tablespace. This tablespace will be the default tablespace used for objects created in this database.
- The maximum number of concurrent connections posible. The default of -1 means there is no limitation.
CREATE DATABASE cannot be executed inside a transaction block.
When you copy a database by specifying its name as the template, no other sessions can be connected to the template database while it is being copied. New connections to the template database are locked out until CREATE DATABASE completes.
The CONNECTION LIMIT is not enforced against superusers.
To create a new database:
CREATE DATABASE gpdb;
To create a database sales owned by user salesapp with a default tablespace of salesspace:
CREATE DATABASE sales OWNER salesapp TABLESPACE salesspace;
To create a database music which supports the ISO-8859-1 character set:
CREATE DATABASE music ENCODING 'LATIN1';
There is no CREATE DATABASE statement in the SQL standard. Databases are equivalent to catalogs, whose creation is implementation-defined.